- 1Spain: An attractive country for investment
- 2Setting up a business in Spain
- 3 Tax System
- 4 Investment aid and incentives in Spain
- 5 Labor and social security regulations
- 6 Intellectual property law
- 7Legal framework and tax implications of e-commerce in Spain
- AI Annex I Company and Commercial Law
- AIIAnnex II The Spanish financial system
- AIIIAnnex IIIAccounting and audit issues
- Central government taxes
- Corporate Income Tax
- Personal Income Tax
- Nonresident Income Tax
- Wealth Tax
- Inheritance and Gift Tax
- Spanish Value Added Tax
- Transfer and Stamp Tax
- Excise and Special Taxes
- Custom Duties on Imports
- Tax on Insurance Premiums
- Tax on Financial Transactions
- Tax on certain Digital Services
- Reporting obligations relating to Assets and Rights Abroad
- Special Regimes of certain Autonomous Communities
- Local taxes
- Exhibit I - Corporate income tax incentives for investment
- Exhibit II - Treaty tax rates
- Exhibit III - Practical examples
- Exhibit IV - Case of Application of the Regime for foreign-securities holding companies (ETVE)...
- Exhibit V - Nonresident case study: Income obtained without a permanent establishment
- Exhibit VI - VAT case study
The Spanish tax system is modern and competitive. The tax burden in Spain, (i.e. tax and social security contributions as a percentage of GDP), is almost five points lower than the average ratio for the EU-28 zone1.
The Spanish Tax Agency (AEAT), who has been recognized as one of the most innovative and efficient tax agencies in the world, offers the taxpayers a wide range of services in order to facilitate the fulfillment of their tax obligations. For this purpose, among other measures, it provides the taxpayers with computer programs that facilitate the preparation of their tax forms and promotes its electronic submission and payment, by using an electronic official certificate.
The main taxes of the Spanish tax system are analyzed in this Chapter.
1Total tax revenue (including social security contributions). 2019 in % of GDP.